Thursday, February 12, 2009

What did you ever do?

A girl

with French teeth

and dandelions

in her hair

stops

a black sportscar

beside me

on the street

and says,

Get in.

Where are

we going?

I ask.

To my place,

she answers.

We drive

through the tunnel

and go

all the way out

to 1,000,000th

Broadway. 


Her apartment

is nice.

There are

original Klees

and Picassos

hanging

on the walls.

She has

a thousand books

and a Hi-Fi set.

I would

make love

to you,

she says,

but I have

cement

in my vagina.

We drink

coffee

from little cups

and she reads

Apollinaire

to me

in French.

She is

very beautiful

but the dandelions

are starting

to wilt

in her hair. 

-Richard Brautigan


I often smoke out my window. I tie the sheers back with scarves and sit at the base with a glass of water and Bon Iver or sometimes my French tapes. I watch people come and go with their dogs and books. I'll start to worry about my roommates smelling the cigarettes, but then I remember that I don't care.